Wednesday, February 29, 2012

More on Middle Eastern Restaurant

I just found out that this may be more of a hookah-type bar than a restaurant, or a mix of the two. Needless to say, if it is mostly a hookah lounge with just some food to go along with it, I am really bummed! I don't think I have ever been in a hookah lounge, or if I was it was a long time ago and I don't remember. But I was really hoping this would be a regular Middle Eastern restaurant. What I'm told is it will serve some food, but will also be a lounge-type establishment.

This news, coming right after the opening of that small trinket, novelty store down on Austin (near Ascan), has me in a frustrated mood! The new little store doesn't seem to fit in that area. If anything I can maybe see it in the Austin St. Mall on the western end of Austin, not east, where newer upscale places like La Boulangerie and Emily's Sugar Rush have recently really increased our expectations for some newer fine businesses.

Now, I just want to stress that I have not confirmed with the owner that the Middle Eastern establishment will be a hookah lounge -- or to what extent it will be mixed with a restaurant. But the person I spoke to is definitely in the know and said it will be a lounge that also serves food, so that's what I'm going on. For all I know, it might be a great place, possibly with a separate area for eating. I just don't know.

10 comments:

  1. Ugh I agree - why in the world would we want TWO Hookah bars on Austin Street? Honestly, who is going to use this? It is certainly very bizarre and I can't figure out why/how this happens. im pretty new to the neighborhood, but is there a community board or organization that oversees this? The potential of this neighborhood is incredible. Not many neighborhoods can claim our proximity to manhattan, safety and affordable rents.We are slowly getting there I suppose, but this is a step in the wrong direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%. And to think I was sharing the exciting news with my husband this morning. We were both hoping it would be authentic and delicious middle eastern food in a quaint interior. FOHI certainly has so much potential. I once met a really nice lady at Boulangerie who was telling me that decades ago the Austin Street area was so charming. Why can't it become the exception to the rule that Queens is dull, ugly and boring?

      Delete
    2. Well, considering that you spoke with that nice lady in La Boulangerie says a lot. La Boulangerie wasn't even here a year ago. So look on the bright side. The neighborhood is definitely improving! But I think it hasn't yet defined itself fully, or at least enough that business owners have figured out what works on Austin and what doesn't. it will be very interesting to see how that new trinkets store does in that location! It is a test for that part of Austin near Ascan.

      Delete
    3. Good point Drake!

      Delete
  2. we don't need another Hookah bar. a hooker bar would be different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a hookah bar on Metropolitan. Do we need 3 hookah bars in FH? Maybe one day we will have a 1:1 ratio of Hookah bars to nail salons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curious if this lounge is being opened by the same guys that did Aged and Europan. Only reason I suspect is that they renovated heavily both spaces. If they are behing this new place it could be at the very least stylish....

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the Hookah lounge is done in an upscale fashion - who could complain. I do not know what the big attraction with Hookah lounges are these days. The "Variety" store is more problematical - it defeats what others are trying to do - like Braerburger, La Boulangerie, Emily's, even Sister Unn's unique style of nothing - is interesting because who knows what they are doing. Still trying to figure it out. But, like Seinfeld - A show about nothing can be more interesting that something. The Variety store belongs on Jamaica Avenue not Austin Street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who needs a HOOKAH LOUNGE, which according to definition, at least all the other ones in NYC, is more for tobacco, along with whatever they are doing, such as food.
    Who needs it, BUT I guess what ever brings in the RENT-right landlords?

    ReplyDelete