Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Early Review: Sammie's To Go

I just had my first sandwich from new the little take out place, Sammie's To Go, which replaced NY Falafel Bar on Austin St., down near Ascan.

I have to say, I was all prepared to write off this new place. But my very early conclusion, based on just one purchase there, is that what it does, it does well enough.

Now, is it the kind of sandwich place I have been dreaming about for years now for Forest Hills? Is it the Zingerman's Deli of the Northeast?? Zingerman's Deli and Sammie's To Go of Forest Hills should not be even in the same sentence. (Kinda like putting Barack Obama in the same sentence with W., or for that matter Mitt. Oh! Did I just slide into politics? How did that happen I wonder?)

Anyway, for $6.99 I tried the Turkey Classic: Boar's Head Ovengold Turkey Breast, Swiss Cheese and Cole Slaw on a 6" sub. It was fine. Fresh, tasty, it did the trick. I do think it is somewhat overpriced, however. For the ingredients being used, maybe it should be around $5.99 at most?

I asked the owner if he has any plans to offer organic meats and he basically replied 'No' by explaining that the Boar's Head meats he offers are "quality meats." Perhaps, but it's not organic. If he wants to do super well in Forest Hills, he may want to educate himself about organic food. It's a huge trend in the food industry, and something more and more customers will be looking for. Because it's just plain better all around.

So, my conclusion is basically that what we have in Sammie's To Go is a mini-deli. It's fine for what it is. Take your average korean grocer, chop out the deli part, and have them focus on that, just that, coming up with interesting sandwich combos, and that's basically Sammie's To Go.

I hope it succeeds here. It doesn't hurt to have this store over on Austin. Hey, beggars can't be choosers. And until some more really interesting restaurants figure out there is an audience dying for them to open on Austin St., we are most definitely beggars here in FoHi. Sorry, but that's a fact.

But as for me, when I'm down near that part of Austin St., I'll be spending my money right across the street, at La Boulangerie, stocking up on their awesome, really high-quality salads and sandwiches. There I definitely get my money's worth and know that the food I'm consuming is made with top-notch, healthful ingredients.

Here's Sammie's To Go's summer take out menu. Click on it for a more legible version:



Sammie's To Go is like a small Boar's Head outlet, actually.

Yes, even on the napkins you will find the logo.

And on the sandwich wrapping.

My tasty turkey sub - it did the trick. But nothing you can't find in a million other places around NYC.



12 comments:

  1. It looks like one big pimp for Boar's Head. did you find Sammie himself to be very.... Intense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. They should have just named it "Boar's Head Sandwich Shop."

      Delete
  2. Oh, and I agree... There is NOTHING bad at La Boulangerie. For an amazing treat, get the bread bowl. 2 slices of every single bread they have and butter. $6.00. Cannot be beat

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get the same sandwich at the Natural deli counter for less money.

    And maybe it's because I've only ever gone on Saturday mornings, but LaBo is just too overwhelming for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like La Boulangerie alot.

    The sandwich store is underwhelming- would have been better if they did a specialty kind of sandwich shop rather then just a cold cut kind of deli counter..something more like il bambino in Astoria would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i go to ctown and get the best sandwich and a gud price...best service....in forest hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ctown...how is it possible that place is even still in business? It is so dirty and they sell expired food. What a waste of a large space on austin....

      Delete
    2. agree..and it smells like bug spray

      Delete
    3. The deli counter at C-town scares the hell out of me. The fact that there's hardly ever anyone even behind it makes me wonder exactly how long it's been since the food has been replaced back there. Freshness seems highly doubtful.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I rather have Sammie's than yet another vacant storefront on Austin Street. It looks clean and offers an alternative to those who want to avoid either of the Subway Sandwich shops in town, or don't want to wait on line at the Natural for a sandwich. It's really a perfectly fine little store with some different sandwich combinations.

      Then again, eh. While I wasn't expecting an Eisenberg's or Porchetta, it would have been nice to have seen a little more innovation.

      For me personally, not being a Boar's Head fan, I'll stick to La Bouglangerie's veggie Panini.

      Update: I meant to add (which is why I deleted and re-posted), I do want to give BIG KUDO's to Sammie's for including a no salt added option. As someone who has to watch their sodium intake, it's really super nice to see this option available. While the roll certainly will have some sodium, I checked Boar's Head and 2 oz of their no salt added turkey has only 55 mg of sodium. Even if the roll has 250 mg sodium, this sandwich is a reasonable alternative for someone looking to keep their sodium intake ~ 1200 mg/day.

      Delete
  7. It would be helpful if they bothered to have more prices on their menu.

    ReplyDelete