Monday, July 2, 2012

'Best Nachos in NYC' Put to the Test

I finally had a chance to taste for myself what the Daily News recently named the Best Nachos in New York City - the Nachos Con Carne at 5 Burro Cafe on Austin St. My verdict: Good, but sorry, while I'd love to agree that we have the best nachos in the city, I really couldn't based on my "taste test" this weekend.


As the Daily News recommended, I tried the Nachos Con Carne with the skirt steak (shown above). Everything on the plate was great—except for the steak. I found the pieces overly fatty unfortunately. And they tasted ok. Nothing very memorable. Like I said, however, the rest of the food on the plate, from the peppers to the nachos themselves and the guacamole, was all really good. Next time I'll try the ground beef version which is supposed to be a little spicy. 

7 comments:

  1. Do you have any recommendations for good Nachos in the Five Boroughs? If you ever make it out to Long Island I recommend Smokin' Al's bbq nachos.

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where is Long Island? Is it near New York City? If I ever make it there, I will definitely visit Smokin' Al's. Thanks for the tip. 5 Burro's right here in Forest Hills I would still recommend. Just don't know if they serve up the very best in the Big Apple.

      Delete
  2. I'll a little surprised to hear that the steak was the weakest part of your plate, because 5 Burro's steak taco's are usually spot-on. If you are saying everything was great, I still may have to them a try next time we eat there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still one of the best places to eat in Forest Hills. Just surprised this was picked as Best Nachos in NYC. They could've had an off-day. But in the restaurant biz, there should never be an off day.

      Delete
  3. Surprised that you would disappointed with anything offered at this Austin Street landmark. I have never been disappointed eating here.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick fork into steak, lift steak to mouth, chew, and then chew, and chew and chew.. and chew some more. Yes, disappointed unfortunately by such tiresome mastication.

      Delete
  4. To each his own, but I'm surprised as well. My husband and I usually just east the steak out of the steak tacos and leave the shell. It's always crispy, juicy, tender, and super-flavorful.

    ReplyDelete