Friday, October 21, 2016

The Bund Chinese Restaurant Getting Ready to Open

Is it possible Forest Hills will finally have a decent Chinese restaurant to call its own? Since I've lived here for say 15 years or so I don't think there's been a single Chinese sit-down restaurant that I thought was really good, that made me want to go back to it. Sure, there are some decent take-outs, and there are excellent Asian fusion places like Jade. But the Chinese food places like I grew up eating in on Long Island—I'm talking effortlessly delicious Chinese food—have been sorely, sorely lacking here. Forest Hills is not alone. The lack of good Chinese restaurants has been a city-wide problem, except, of course for Chinatown and Flushing—and, my favorite, Ollie's.

I attribute it to the ridiculous high-fat scare we've all been terrified of for the past 20 years. Chinese restaurants have been a dying breed, replaced by Asian fusion serving up nice and healthy sushi and the like.

Well, Enough with the God-Damn Sushi Already! Make Chinese Food Great Again!

You get the picture.

I'm told the new restaurant The Bund will be opening in the former Knish Nosh space at 100-30 Queens Blvd. at the corner of 67th Road on October 25th. I have high hopes because they have a damn interesting authentic Chinese food story to tell that sounds unique and intriguing. Whether my hopes will be dashed, well, that's a different story. I guess we'll all find out together! (If they are good, I just pray to the Lord Above that they deliver to central FoHi where I reside, since they are kinda on the fringe out there enroute to RP.)

Thanks to Thomas for these photos of the storefront and the menu in the window!





19 comments:

  1. Are we ever going going to get new restaurants in the old Sante Fe space on 70th Road that has been vacant since 2013 except for the craptastic annual Halloween store popup or the vacant space where Uno Pizzeria was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do we know what happened with that? The last i heard, they didnt get approval from the city to build a 12 story building (city code needs to approve anything over 6 stories I believe), and thus the decision to move forward was up in the air.

      Delete
  2. I think they are systematically closing restaurants on that block as leases end to put in new high-rise condo building, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about Grand Sichuan II? That's my go to sit down Chinese restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i can't wait!!! their menu looks legit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears to be the same generic Westernized Polynesian version of every "Chinese Food" menu. We need a place like the original High Pearl or Wo Hop in the area. You would think with the amount of new Asian families around the area would have at least ONE authentic Asian food restaurant.

      Delete
    2. Whatever it is, I tried it over the weekend and loved it and believe most others will as well. I'm thrilled to report that Finally! we have really good traditional Chinese food in Forest Hills! And, they do indeed deliver!

      Delete
    3. ... and by 'traditional' I mean the delicious, full-flavored kind I devoured growing up on Long Island - widely considered the birthplace of American Chinese cuisine (source: Edge of the City Blog)

      Delete
    4. Yay! Are you gonna do a more formal review? You haven't done one in a while!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yeah , East Ocean is as authentic as it gets !

      Delete
    2. East Ocean covers only Cantonese food, as this one is for Shanghainese. So far, the menu looks like something that you might find in an authentic Chinese fast food restaurants in Elmhurst or Flushing. Can't be sure until the actual food is tried.

      Delete
  6. Anybody try it yet? I drove by yesterday and saw people eating inside. Wonder how it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ollie's? really? That's like saying papa john's offers authentic pizza. Ollie's is not bad, but it is definitely not authentic. Flushing is as authentic as it gets as most of the restaurants there are opened with chefs who are recent immigrants from china.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said anything about Ollie's being authentic? I didn't. I said: "The lack of good Chinese restaurants has been a city-wide problem, except, of course for Chinatown and Flushing—and, my favorite, Ollie's."

      Delete
    2. I love Ollie's too Drake! It's somewhere between Americanized Chinese and Chinese that's what makes it great. When I go to the one by Lincoln Center I see a good mix of Asian and non-Asian patrons.

      Delete
  8. Wok100 was the best in the area until closed ages ago... not sure if many if any remember it but peking duck was the next best thing and the former owners of hang lee owned it after selling the take-out joint on metro... sadly this is now gone too. there was a place on QB by the FDNY but I don't know if that is around as well.

    ReplyDelete