Sunday, February 13, 2011

Heat Wave

All the heaters have now officially been turned off in the Edge of the City Compound, a sure sign that Spring can not be too far off!

One of the best things I ever did was have the Super fix every single radiator in the apartment when I moved in so that I could turn each one on and off. Of course, like every single other apartment I have ever lived in in New York City, all of the heaters had long before broken to the point where they were all stuck in the on position. So, whenever the temperature outside would suddenly spike like it is doing today and tomorrow, I used to just resort to opening the windows rather than succumb to heat stroke. Of course, a little luck has allowed me the "luxury" of fixed heaters: Until now my Supers have either been extremely incompetent or incredibly unhelpful.

But think of how much energy is wasted by all the thousands of NYC apartments with old heaters stuck on? And how much discomfort, as well, to those of you having to put up with it. It should be a law that every single heater in every single NYC apartment can be turned on and off.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. It gets too damn hot when you can't turn off the heat. And it's ridiculous that I need to open the windows wide open in the winter.

    ReplyDelete