Thursday, August 11, 2011

Still Searching...

While the number of places offering quality food here in Forest Hills has certainly taken an upswing in recent months, I was realizing the other day that a place to get just a simple, really good sandwich still remains stubbornly elusive. And I'm not talking about Subway. I mean a quality sandwich, made with fresh, wholesome, upscale ingredients and designed by a creative person who really knows and is passionate about good food. If someone was to open such a place here in Forest Hills, I predict they would have a huge hit on their hands.
Also, I think what makes the new French bakery La Boulangerie so awesome, and such a welcome addition to Forest Hills, is that you can't find it anywhere else. It is not part of a big chain with locations all over the place. The owners are passionate about what they make and seem to care about every crumb. You can really taste the difference.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. Its impossible to find a decent sandwich in Forest Hills. The closest thing used to be at the back of the Organic Market on 71st road, but the last time I was in there, I counted about 15 flies hovering around the deli area, and I decided to stop going in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I've been saying the same thing since I moved here back in November from long island. Enough with the Tex Mex Chinese places already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Redwood Deli on Queens Blvd near 78th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just went to Oko Yogurt shop on Austin St today. Didn't realize besides just the yogurt, they had sandwiches, paninis, wraps, and other stuff. Had a chicken and avocado sandwich which was really good, but a little small.

    ReplyDelete