Sunday, September 9, 2012

Saturday Storm Pics

A couple of photos readers sent in of Saturday's storm.


This amazing photo is looking south over the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium.

This shot is in the direction of the Walgreens on Queens Blvd., and 69th/Yellowstone. 
By the way, I find it kind of interesting that the Police Commissioner visited the areas affected by Saturday's tornado. If my memory serves me correctly, I don't remember him visiting Forest Hills when we we suffered a lot worse damage a couple of years ago from our tornado. Strange... The only thing I can conclude is this formula: Amazing Video of Tornado + Media Picking up That Amazing Video = Police Commissioner Visitation to Affected Area.

When our tornado hit, we didn't have video of the actual tornado hitting Forest Hills - only the aftermath of the damage. The closest thing was this footage shot in Park Slope just before it hit us here:


By the way, just to set the record straight, we here in Forest Hills had a tornado on September 16, 2010 and also a "macroburst." There were two tornados that day, one of which went over a portion of Forest Hills. How do I know for sure? Because I was in the tornado. It went right over my building while I was home. I didn't grow up on a farm in Kansas, but I've heard enough descriptions of a tornado to know what it was that went over my building. I heard the rumble approach, and it sounded like a freight train as it passed over my location and the entire building shook. I looked outside just as it was hitting and saw nothing but swirling debris and white. The whole experience lasted like about 45 seconds as it moved over my building and then subsided quickly. I've experienced straight line winds, which accompany a macroburst, and this was nothing like that. There isn't a loud rumbling associated with them and they hit with a sudden punch and then that's it, it's over in a second.
Read more here: Two Tornadoes, Macroburst Confirmed in New York City

This incredible video kind of captures what I am talking about. Listen as the tornado goes over the Georgia Dome and you'll hear that freight train sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment