Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crime Rate Flip-Flops Between NYC and Rest of State

The latest stats show the City is now safer than the rest of New York State, at least when it comes to crime:

"In 2010, reports of crime in the counties of outside New York City accounted for 58 percent of all the state’s crime — in the seven major categories of crime, known as index crimes. And the rest of it, or 42 percent, took place within New York City."

While the article says that back in 1990, crime within New York City accounted for 63 percent of all the crime within the state, with the remainder occurring everywhere else in the state outside the boundaries of New York’s five boroughs.

A complete reversal in 20 years!

City Room: Declines in Crime, the ‘Crash Tax’ and Kelly’s Plans
Published: April 21, 2011
One Police Plaza: A report shows that fewer than half of all crimes in New York State are now committed in New York City; the Bloomberg administration drops a revenue plan, and the police commissioner is asked about his future.

1 comment: