Friday, January 20, 2012

Changing Restaurant Scene

Bareburger
There's an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal about the changing restaurant scene in Park Slope. One of the restaurants they highlight is the recently-opened Bareburger (with a nice color pic to boot). I used to live in Park Slope and it's interesting to hear about these changes. When I lived there, in the 90's, there were just a handful of good restaurants. When I recently went back, there were too many to count. It was unbelievable. And now this article in The Journal says the restaurant scene is evolving again. Some old favorites, like Aunt Suzie's on Fifth Ave., closed this month.

Slippery Slope For Brooklyn Restaurants

Not saying Forest Hills will follow this path exactly, but our restaurant scene is perking up a bit. So maybe there is some foreshadowing of what's to come here as well.

By the way, I am particularly intrigued by this Dizzy's Diner the article discusses. I haven't been to that one, has anyone? Interested to know what you think about it if you have. An excellent, upscale, fun and modern diner is just what Forest Hills needs.


5 comments:

  1. Really interesting article - thanks for sharing!
    It would be great if our neighborhood took a page out their book and started asking themselves things like "how can we reinvent oursevles and make our establishement more modern, more interesting? We all know a ton of places on our commercial strips that need a makeover....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there were less "franchises" but I know the reality is that "franchises" can afford the increasing rents and "mom n pop" shops can't which is really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of Dizzy's, but I'm a HUGE fan of a solid diner coming in to the area. To say we're lacking on that front is a tremendous under-statement.

    I'd also be happy to pick up Park Slope's sloppy seconds. Uncle Moe's .... common over!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I agree that Fo-Hi needs an upscale diner over other things. I mean, we do not have an upscale modern diner, it is true. But we are lousy with diners overall.

    I miss the taco truck (which seems to have departed for good?). That was the best food i"ve had in this neighborhood all year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a possitive thing in this ecomonomy for growth. A plethera of restaurants can only good. People need to eat.

    ReplyDelete